Clan Coutts Society

Clan Coutts Society

Ecclesiastical and Civic Heraldry

Ecclesiastical Heraldry

 

Diocese of AdelaideDiocese of Cape Town

 

 

Bishop

 

Anglican Diocese of Columbia aka British Columbia aka Vancouver

 

 

 

 

 

Civic Heraldry

 

SURBITON BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Azure issuant from the base an Elm Tree proper in front of a Sun rising Or.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Coulours upon a Bridge of one arch masoned a winged Lion couchant resting the dexter forepaw on a closed Book all Or.
SUPPORTERS: On either side a Stag resting the interior hind leg on the Stock of a Tree erased and charred proper.

Motto 'CONSILIO ET ANIMIS' - By wisdom and courage.
Granted 17th July 1936.

surbiton bc arms

The elm tree alludes to Elmbridge Hundred in which the place lay and the rising sun refers to the elevation to borough status at the time of the grant.
The Lion of St. Mark was used as a device by the former Urban District Council and Improvement Commissioners and the bridge symbolizes the railway, to which Surbiton owes its development. It also with the elm tree is recalls the Hundred.
The stags are from the arms of Coutts, the bankers, benefactors of the town.

 

 

 

KINGSTON UPON THAMES, ROYAL BOROUGH OF
Link to Royal Borough of Kingston Web Site

ARMS: Azure three Salmon naiant in pale Argent finned and tailed Gules.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours issuing from a Wreath of Bay Leaves Vert Banded Or a demi Stag proper gorged with a Crown Or pendent therefrom an Escutcheon Ermine on a Chevron Vert between two Chevronels the upper one per pale Azure and Gules and the lower one per pale Gules and Azure a Cross Pattee Or holding between the forelegs a Fountain.
SUPPORTERS: On either side a Stag proper gorged with a Riband Argent pendent therefrom an Escutcheon Azure issuant from the base an Elm Tree proper in front of a Sun rising Or and resting the interior hind hoof on a charred Woodstock the whole upon a Grassy Mount proper supported by a Fillet wavy per fess wavy Argent and Azure.
BADGE: A Roundel of the Arms encircled by a Wreath of Elm and Bay Vert tied with a Riband and ensigned by a Saxon Crown Or.

Granted 7th March 1966.

The Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames was formed by the amalgamation of the Borough of Malden and Coombe, the former Royal Borough of Kingston and the Borough of Surbiton.

kingston upon thames lb arms

The shield is the ancient arms of the former Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames, recorded in 1572 and 1623. It bears three salmon on blue in reference to the three fisheries mentioned in Domesday Book.
The crest consists of that of the Borough of Malden and Coombe, with the addition of that borough's shield hanging from the crown about the stag's neck. The shield has reference to Malden and Coombe's connexions with the Crown and Merton College, Oxford, and the stag is a reminder that part of Richmond Park is within the area.
The supporters are those of the Borough of Surbiton, with its shield hanging from their necks. The elm in the shield recalls the ancient Hundred of Elmbridge, and the stags, which link thematically with that in the new crest, are those of the Coutts family. The whole coat of arms rests on a grassy base edged with waves, symbolising the Royal Borough's situation on the Thames, and preserves virtually intact the heraldry of all the constituent boroughs.
The badge displays the Kingston salmon surrounded by leaves from the Surbiton elm and the Malden and Coombe bay, and surmounted by a Saxon crown in reference to the Royal Borough's title.

 

 

© 2019   Created by Malcolm Coutts.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service